Followers

Monday, November 19, 2012

Hostess Monday with Sassy Raggedy "Candy Canes & Peppermint"


Hi everyone, it's Sassy Raggedy here to show you how I decorated my new Christmas Box.  I love all the images here at Digital Delights and each time I think I have seen the cutest image ever Wendy always comes up with another....So today I am going to showcase a paper mache' box and I would love your comments letting me know what you think of it.
Supplies:
Medium Size Paper Mache' Box
Acrylic White Paint
Sandpaper
Copics and Prisma Pencils
Designer Papers
Cryogen White Paper
Circle, Scallop Circle and Square Dies
Distress Ink in Barn Door
Stardust Stickles
Ribbons, Tissue Paper, Candy Embellishments
Double Sided Adhesive Tape
Snowflake Die
 


 
 
So let's get started and I will tell you how easy this was to make and how you can make your own using any image, color, and embellishments.  As you can see this Digital Stamp Set comes in colored and black and white.  It also has 4 different images with so many different ways of using all 4 of them. In the middle of the Candy Frame I used the sentiment "The Reason for the Season" from the "A Touch of Christmas Sentiment Set".
 Step 1
I started my project using just a plain Kraft paper mache' box.  You could again use anything and any shape item you would like to alter. Size does not matter because with a digital image you can size it to whatever you would like.  I took white acrylic paint and using a sponge brush I painted the box and lid.  My box took 3 coats only because I was using white paint. Set your box aside to let dry. When dry use a piece of sandpaper to lightly sand everything you just painted.  It will smooth out the paint since you will not be using a sealer.
 Step 2
Size your image and print on Cryogen White Paper or whatever paper you would like to use. I love using Cryogen White because it really grabs the Copic Ink and has that wonderful sparkle to it. I used the "Candy Background" and the "Candy Frame" from the image set.  I printed each image twice since I was using them on every side of my box.  So I used each image twice on 2 sides of the box. I also printed the sentiment twice. 
Step 3
I then colored my images.  I used Copics and Prisma Pencils.  I will use the pencils a lot for shading.  Just to give it a deeper shading color. I wanted to use red and white for my coloring.  I am going to show you a close-up of the images colored. Once colored I then used a toothpick and dipped it into the same white acrylic paint to dot the centers of all the candies. When dry you can apply stickles for the sparkly wherever you would like.
 
  Step 4
My next step was to cut the colored images out, which I did using dies.  I also cut out my designer papers that I was going to mat the images on.  The sizes of these will vary depending on the size of the box you use. Next I applied double-sided adhesive tape to the layers and put them all together. Also, on the candy frame I cut the sentiment and placed it in the middle of the frame. Since by this time your box is painted and ready to be decorated I went ahead and put the images on the box.  
Step 5
Now the really fun part.  This is where you will see your project come together.  I applied some red and white ribbon to the bottom edge of the box lid.  I went all around the edge with the ribbon.  I then added a matted square of the designer paper as used on the image matting.  On my lid I took white, red and the same red/white ribbon used on the lid edge and made my bows.  I added some red and white embellishments weaved into the bows along with a snowflake cut from thick white cardstock. 

After that you are finished.  You then can use your box in so many ways.  I added some tissue paper with fake candy embellishments. 
See easy peasy but is so Christmasy....I am going to be making more of these using Wendy's wonderful images.   Thanks for taking a look and have fun creating your own...

Sassy Raggedy aka Joann

4 comments on "Hostess Monday with Sassy Raggedy "Candy Canes & Peppermint""

happyscrapper on November 19, 2012 at 5:06 AM said...

OMG Sassy Raggedy this is so beautiful. A great home decor piece.
Hugz,
Christine

wendy hall on November 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM said...

This is stunning Joann! What a fabulous centerpiece.
Hugs
Wendy

Larelyn on November 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM said...

What a fabulous project and great tutorial. Thank you so much.
Hugs,
Larelyn

NancyD on November 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM said...

This is so bright and cheerful AND yummy looking. NancyD