Followers

Monday, May 17, 2010

What is the difference between a JPEG and PNG file anyway?????????


As you may already know, all our Digital Stamps come with both a JPEG (or sometimes referred to as JPG) file and also a PNG file!! Many of you have said that you are not sure what the difference in the two files are, so I thought I would show you in the examples below on how the different files can work for you!!

Here I have used Photoshop Elements to make a scene which can be printed out when complete to use on a card!! I started with a blank file and then took our Under the Sea Background ( I chose the pre-colored version which will work best for this purpose).

I wanted to make a scene, so I placed the Mermaid JPEG file so you can see exactly how this works. A JPEG file has a white box around it, and in this instance it does not work for what I want to do!! This is where the PNG files come in and are great for doing scenes!!

This time I placed the Mermaid PNG file and you can see that there is no white box surrounding it.
Always remember JPEG files have a white box around them and PNG files have a transparent background.

I carried on placing more of our Digital Stamps from Our Under the Sea Collection and ended up with a pretty scene which is ready to print out and make a card!!
This is also a great way to make some really great Digital Scrapbook pages too!!

Hope this was helpful and if you have any further questions, just give me a shout!!

Hugs
Wendy

5 comments on "What is the difference between a JPEG and PNG file anyway?????????"

Anne on May 17, 2010 at 2:22 AM said...

Thanks Wendy, that's answered a question I always wanted to ask. Hugs x

Daisychain on May 17, 2010 at 3:10 AM said...

Well, I never knew that! Thanks very much for explaining, and in simple terms that my brain can cope with. Hugs Christine x

kimmie_35 on May 17, 2010 at 4:53 AM said...

Thank you for explaining this... I always wondered what the difference was!
Hugs
Kim
x

Trish on May 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM said...

Thanks Wendy- you know I needed to know this LOL!!!!
Hugs,
Trish

kanishk on May 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM said...

Thanks for sharing.. i was looking for it..
post free classified ads